Oh hey bloggers! I haven't been on here in quite awhile. I know this is two days late. Be disappointed if you must. I am on vacation here in the great state of Colorado. Last week I got to visit my sister in Denver. This week I am in Telluride! Anyways the moral of this little location story is that in Denver I had terrible wifi in my hotel and I couldn't get hooked up online to write this fabulous blog. However, I did get the chance to really get my thoughts wrapped around this article!
I have always heard my mom and dad talk about how fantastic technology is! I guess I am just used to it, being born in this generation and all, but from stories I have heard from them, technology has changed the way we socialize, the way we act, the way we think. This is just the point that Nicholas Carr wants to get across in this article.
He kept repeating himself in this article about how easily we get distracted when reading now, rather than in the past. Something I found kind of odd when reading this article was how long it was. He was repeating all he said before about how we get distracted and how easy the internet has made it for us to just want to read the short stuff. We want all of our information right there in the introductory paragraph, but here in this seven page article with about a 10 point font, he expects us to read and completely analyze this entire article. Not happening all at once. It took me a couple times to sit down and read this sucker. It was interesting, I will give him that, but long. Way. Too. Long.
This article couldn't be more spot on in the way that it depicts how technology has changed the mind sets of everyone around the world! Scott Karp, a blogger who writes about online media, has admitted that he has stopped reading books altogether. Sadly, this isn't just true for him. Ever since nooks and kindles came out, people can just download their favorite book onto their technological device and read it! Now there are some pros and cons to this. It's really nice that you can just download all of your favorite books and have them with you where ever you go! Also, it's sweet that using the kindles and nooks we could eventually cut back on wasting tree's paper. Unfortunately, with purchasing these devices we lose the fun event of going out and looking all around the bookstores for that special little novel.
Technology has really changed the way we think and the way we live. Whether it is for the better or for the worst, it has changed us. All of us.
Hey Katarina! Hope all is going well with you and your days are filled with excellent summer adventures.
ReplyDeleteA couple of AP Comp reminders:
In addition to writing your own posts, make sure you are doing some reading and replying to your classmates’ blogs. You can find a list of blog addresses at my web page.
Also, you should be well along in your non-fiction book. Hope it’s a good one, and I look forward to reading more about it once school starts.
Finally, we will be doing vocabulary quizzes the first week of class, so make sure you’re finding some good words.
Let me know if you have any questions, and savor the last few weeks of summer!
Hey Kat!
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you about the irony of the article. Like you mentioned, he talked about how we want the quick facts, and yet his article went on and on. I also liked how you mentioned Nooks and Kindles replacing "hard copies" as part of our changing mindset when it comes to technology and reading. I didn't even think about that!
I think that you bring up an interesting point with the Kindles, Kat. I hadn't thought about all the advances in "eReading" in regard to this article. I know that I prefer real books, but some things that they have developed for Kindles and other such devices seem very handy (i.e. highlighting, searching, percentage read, bookmarking, etc.). I don't think that technology will ever truly allow us to replicate the feeling of curling up with your favorite book, but I wonder if this technology is the best way to introduce that feeling to the next, even more technology-inclined generation.
ReplyDelete